Friday, January 30, 2009

Different Strokes

This week was quick. I spent it at a school and medical center in Than Goun, a very small village. Here the medicine is free and is all grown on the property. There are tons of trees, bushes, and other plants that all serve some propose. The students are very well behaved and when ever they pass an adult they say "good morning Sir" or Mame, so there is always a chattering of Mame's and sirs and mornings and afternoons ect. as they pass every morning. Each morning I wake at 6:30 to do yoga as the sun rises, which was hard the first day, but now I am kind of used to it, and is freakin sweet! We have hiked to several near by villages to hold clinics, and around the general area. Everyone calls the area a jungle, but because it is winter, thus the dry season, it is kind of brown, and the underbrush is not as thick as it would be in summer, when it rains every day. There is a small puppy here that I have named Shoe, because it attacks your shoes as you are walking, or doing anything else. So far the name has not stuck with the staff, who think that it will just get eaten by the leopards, the ones who have had most of the past puppies for midnight snacks. This means that after killing the mega spider in my room I lay listening to all the dogs in the area barking all night at various wild animals, or each other, but who really knows. This all occurs after catching the gecko (that I named Willy) and also doing yoga at sunset, so I am becoming much more limber with yoga twice a day. I will spend the next week in Than Goun, but for now I am back in Rishikish to go to a wild life preserve and some big sheva temple.

No comments:

Post a Comment