Sunday, January 11, 2009

Rishiskesh and Hardwar

For Saturday I went to the Holy city of Hardwar which was about an hours drive from Rishikesh but because for some reason unknown to me there was stop go traffic so it took much longer. The only note worthy thing that happened on the ride was that I almost passed out due to fumes from the wickram. While there I went to see the Mera Devi (or some spelling) temple via rail car. It was up on this big hill which gave me a view of the valley that Hardwar is in along with the Ganges river. Most of the buildings in Hardwar are pink, or a dark dirty pink any, which gives the town a very organized feel although it is very much not so. There where lots of people asking for money which made me feel like I was a walking wallet to everyone. Along the Ganges there was the classic stairs in to the water that you see in pictures and everyone was sitting, bathing, and everything else in the river. Because the current was so strong here they had chain fence area's in the water so people would not be swepted away. I was very excited about the river, so I stuck a foot in, I couldn't do more for fear of contracting some disease. In both Hardwar and Rishikish I went into many Hindu temples (including one that was 17 floors), and was blessed by many priests who all wanted money donated to their temple as soon as they had my head and had blessed me. It was all very cool to see. Right now I am in the hill town of Mussoire in the foot hills of the Hymalayas at 6,000 feet. It is very cold and I can see my breath (I am regretting not bringing my snow jacket). I will be here for the week in a small hospital sleeping in a hospital bed! I'll let you know how it goes.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Curtis, Thanks for all the updates. The Ganges River - very amazing! The Indian people are very serious about their temples. I guess if have nothing else... Hey Dwight is right! We want pictures. Try and find the right connections for your camara and post some. The sights sound so cool. So if you want to stay warm you could wear those 12 t shirts you took.
    Ha Ha. What do the locals bundle up with? Wool, llama, yak? So do you see alot of the Sacred Cows? Love Ya! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will try soon, I am afraid that it will crash some poor Indian's computer uploading pic's. As far as the cows go; they fear no car while eating the trash.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Curtis, I have been following your great adventure..sure sounds like you are not only well "BLESSED" but getting to visit alot of awsome places. Looking forward to hearing more, you just watch out for those Sacred Cows now!

    ReplyDelete