Monday, February 9, 2009

Mumbai

So I am here in Mumbai! It is much like the rest of India that I have seen but the streets and buildings are bigger, and if it possible it is more crowded. I am told that it is a very safe city in general, I mean you try robbing someone with hundreds of people watching you from every street corner at every hour. Yesterday I went to go see the Gateway to India! It was cool, you know, some big arch that the British built for themselves, or rather that they made Indians make for them. From there I went to Elefanta Island, where there where these really old Hindu caves carved into extravagant temples. They where awesome, but it is freaking hot, and all the smog does not help make one feel cleaner as you are sweating all over your self while looking at the brown water that surrounds Mumbai.
Indian trains are a thing of legend, and let me tell you that there is a reason. They get absurdly full. Think of sitting on a train, with the bench seat, add five people to that seat, then add as many people that can standing in front of you (between you and the seat in front of you) which is about 5 more, and extend that into the isle until people have to hang out the door, which they have to keep open, because if it was to close it would kill and dismember 6 people. When you pull up to a station it is like the running of the bulls into a wall of people trying to get off, but without the bulls (and there must be less shoes).
Today I went to the Hindu (I think its Hindu) hospital that I will be working at for the next week. I observed an angiograph and then angioplasty. It was amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment