Saturday, February 14, 2009

Rolling on

The weeks are falling like flies. Unfortunately here in Mumbai I am having to deal with mosquitoes, which are impossible to kill. When I have not been chasing these pesky pests, and then subsequently running from them (a doctor burst in a fit of laughter after seeing this process, saying something about westerners) I have been walking around the city, getting my self lost in the all the hustle and bustle. In an attempt to reach the beach by foot I ended up walking in circles (as I found out later) for an hour and a half until I waved down an auto rickshaw, and it was long ride to where he dropped me off. The beaches in Mumbai are done completely Indian style, that is to say, one of them was covered in people, the other covered in trash.
Besides expending energy in my personal locomotion, I have been using it to stand for long periods of time watching surgeries. I have been able to watch a tipple bypass, several angiograms and the removal of a large tumor from the intestine of an unlucky recipient. I have been stationed at a BSES hospital here, which is a strange cult like organization, but harmless only due to the fact that they only want to help people. I went to a TB clinic for the poor, which was amazing, because I observed every kind of TB in the span of 2 -ish hours. My best attempts to breath as little as possible to avoid catching the airborne bacteria where thwarted by a giant celling fan that churned the air with such force that it would blow the paper off desks and cause my hair to assault my eyes. The doctors did tell me that after decades of working there they have never caught TB, and with my impeccable health record (ignore all the broken bones and injuries) I hope to join them in not getting infected.

1 comment: